Age Range: 9 – 13 years old
In this activity students will be learning vocabulary for French and Spanish through the use of sentences. They will be given sentences with missing words which the have to select from the options available. This will encourage students not only to learn the vocabulary required but also how it is used in sentences.
They are different difficulties available that range from greetings sentences to ordering food to talking about yourself.
Students can also create their own vocab games by programming the micro:bit.
- Understand how vocabulary is used correctly in sentences.
- Use digital technology to assist in the learning of vocabulary.
Download the Code
Click the button below to download the MakeCode editor code for this lesson. The hex file is contained in a zip folder.
Kindly refer to our download the code page for instructions on how to upload your code onto the micro:bit. Please use instructions set A.
This code can also be uploaded into the MakeCode editor.
Mini Innovation Board
- MicroUSB Cable
- Battery Pack
- 1 x Connector Cable
- 2 x AAA Batteries
- Connect the micro:bit to the Mini Innovation board via the edge connector.
- Use the connector cable to connect the OLED display to the I2C connector on the Mini Innovation board.
- Connect the micro:bit to a computer via the microUSB cable.
- Download the code for the difficulty option you wish to use and upload it onto the micro:bit. Go to the top of this page for more details.
- Once the code is downloaded, unplug the micro:bit from the computer and connect the external battery pack.
- Each activity has a total of 5 questions with a score out of 5 being shown at the end.
- To begin the activity, press button A on the micro:bit. The word READY will scroll across the LED matrix.
- Next, the first sentence will appear on the OLED display screen. There will be a ……………… gap where the missing word should go.
- There will be 3 options for the missing word. Option A can be selected by pressing button A on the micro:bit. Option B can be selected by pressing button B on the micro:bit. Finally, option C can be selected by pressing buttons A and B together.
- Once an option has been selected a message will appear on the OLED display for 5 seconds which will state whether the answer was correct or incorrect.
- Once all 5 questions have been answered a score out of 5 will be shown on the OLED display.
- There is a bank of questions that are randomly selected so students can repeat each activity a multiple times.
Taking it Further
- Complete all of the difficulty levels in each language a number of times.
- Students can learn how to create their own sentences by programming the micro:bit themselves. (Instructions coming soon).
Keep in Touch
We would love to keep in touch with you and as a result aid you along your digital making journey.
Becoming a digital maker subscriber means you will receive exclusive offers and we will keep you up to date with new resources and kits, as well as upcoming events and workshops.
Let us know how your digital education journey is progressing. Send us pictures and videos of your awesome creations and use the hashtag below.